What’s great about this dip? It’s fast, easy, delicious, and very good for you! While the average store-bought spinach dip has about 110-120 calories PER 2 TABLESPOONS and only 1g of protein, with this dip you get 6x the volume and 15x the protein for fewer calories! Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.
So, impress your friends with this delicious, creamy homemade spinach dip. Impress them even FURTHER when you share the nutrition facts. ;)
[This recipe was adapted from the spinach dip recipe in the June/July 2011 issue of Seventeen Magazine, which called for nonfat sour cream. By replacing the sour cream with nonfat plain Greek yogurt, you save 80 calories and gain 12g of filling protein!]
Makes two 3/4 cup servings at 105 calories each. :)
- 6oz-10oz bag of baby spinach (40 cals, 4g protein)
- 6oz Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt (100 cals, 18g protein)
- 1/4 Cup Nonfat Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (70 cals, 8g protein)
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
1) Tear up spinach by hand into smaller leaves and put it in a large, microwavable bowl.
2) Add yogurt, mozzarella, onion, powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix WELL with a spoon or spatula. [It may seem daunting at first, but it’s really not hard! Check out the picture at the end of the post to see what it should look like before popping it in the microwave.]
3) Microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds, and stir again. If you want it hotter, just microwave a little more! Enjoy :)
Makes for a great late-night snack, party dip, or even part of a healthy lunch! Also goes great with veggies or some low-calorie homemade tortilla chips!
Below is a picture of the dip, pre-microwave. See! The mixing can be done!